Teachers for Vietnam welcomes a wide range of applicants. Any person who meets the following eligibility requirements is encouraged to apply:
- a bachelor’s degree
- experience in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) or a TESL certificate course approved by Teachers for Vietnam prior to departing for Vietnam
- native fluency in written and spoken English.
Applicants will have to travel to the New York City area for a personal interview.
Under the terms of their employment, teachers enjoy a modest, but adequate standard of living. However, teachers paying off student loans are eligible to have these payments deferred while participating in our program. In addition to their classroom responsibilities, teachers in this program have opportunities to get to know their students outside of class, visit them in their homes, and travel to other parts of Vietnam.
[Please note that knowledge of Vietnamese is not required for these teaching positions.]
Other items that will be needed (more information is found in the Application Form):
- $50 application fee. Please make checks payable to Teachers for Vietnam
- Completed application form
- Two completed essays (more information in the Application Form)
- Two copies of your resume
- Copies of all college transcripts
- Two letters of reference, one employer reference is preferred
- Photocopies of first two pages of a currently valid passport
- One passport-size (2”x2”) photo with name printed on the back
General Information about Recruitment and Placement
In addition to the salary and free housing provided by the host institution, Teachers for Vietnam offers teachers:
- An orientation program upon arrival in Vietnam, providing information on cultural, language, health, and safety issues, as well as current affairs
- Group medical insurance for all teachers in need of such coverage, which includes emergency medical evacuation
- Transportation to and from Vietnam, as well as within the country and region during Tet holiday (in January).
- Applicants may specify their preference for a particular location in Vietnam. Teachers for Vietnam cannot guarantee it will be able to honor such requests.
- We encourage our teachers to contribute to the website’s blog, with both photos and written entries. While this is not a requirement, it would be of great benefit to the program and future applicants.
For information on contemporary Vietnam, applicants should consult such materials as Vietnam Today: A Guide to a Nation at the Crossroads, by Mark A. Ashwill, Postwar Vietnam, by Hy V. Luong, Understanding Vietnam, by Neil L. Jamieson, Culture and Customs of Vietnam, by Mark W. McLeod and Nguyen Thi Dieu, Vietnam: A Global Studies Handbook, Catfish and Mandala, by Andrew X. Pham, Vietnam: Rising Dragon, by Bill Hayton and Vietnam: A New History (2016) by Christopher Goscha.
While it may be possible for two selected applicants to be offered positions at the same college or university, this cannot be guaranteed.
Costs of the Program
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Transportation and overnight accommodations for trips to New York City area for interview and/or summer orientation
- Vaccination and all pre-departure health-related expenditures (approximately $150)
- Vietnam visa application fees (approximately $120)
- Half the cost of TESL certificate course, if required of applicant (approximately $500).
Teachers for Vietnam strives to make its teaching positions available to a diverse group of applicants. When possible, Teachers for Vietnam will offer loans to any person accepted into this program who cannot pay for the costs outlined above.
Deadline for submission of application materials.
If selected, notification of interview date, time, and place.
End of May
Notification of first-round selection results. At this time, selected teachers must make a commitment to accept the position and to follow through on related commitments if accepted by the host institution. If first-choice applicants cannot make this commitment, alternates are contacted.
Finalization of placements in Vietnam.
Late August/ Early September
Departure of teachers for Vietnam. Teachers are strongly urged to arrive at their host institutions at least two weeks in advance of the start of classes.
The application form can be downloaded as a PDF document at this link. Please TYPE or PRINT NEATLY when filling out the form. We request applicants read the entire document and then fill out the application and return to
Teachers for Vietnam
P.O. Box 362
Salisbury CT 06068
The deadline for receipt of the application is April 1